Re: Paint Question

To: prsmith@navnet.net, "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Paint Question
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 1998 20:44:39 -0400
prsmith@navnet.net wrote:
> What is the problem with alkyd?

  Well, I confess that I don't have EXTENSIVE background in
alkyd, but I have a lot of spec sheets. Most companies list
all their paint flavours with features.

  One feature sheet I have at hand compares this company's
Alkyd enamel, Acrylic Enamel, and urethane enamel. (BodyPro)

  I'll summarize the sections that are different.

Alkyd Enamel: For complete refinishing of vehicles, equipment,
and machinery where economy is a key consideration.

Acrylic Enamel: For complete refinishing of vehicles, equipment
and machinery where improved durability and appearance
are required.

Urethane Enamel: For complete refinishing of vehivles, equipment
and machinery where superior appearance and durability performance
are required.

Durability:
Alkyd, High Gloss, 1-2 years
Acrylic, High Gloss, up to 2-3 years
Urethane, High Gloss, up to 5 years.

Adhesion of Topcoat to primer:
Alkyd: Good
Acrylic: Excellent
Urethane: Excllent.

Dry time:
Alkyd: Dust free, 35 mins
Acrylic: Dust free, 45 mins
Urethane: Dust free, 20 mins.

Water marking resistance:
Alkyd: 16 hours
Acrylic: 6 hours
Urethane: 4 hours

Tape free time:
Alkyd: 12 hours
Acrylic: 6 hours
Urethane: 4 hours

Re-repair: (important for amateurs, we make mistakes)
Alkyd: Good after 16 hours
Acrylic: Excellent after 8 hours
Urethane: Excellent after 8 hours.

Chip Resistance:
Alkyd: Good
Acrylic: Very good
Urethane: Excellent

Chemical Resistance:
Alkyd: Good
Acrylic: Very Good
Urethane: Excellent

Gloss:
Alkyd: High
Acrylic: High
Urethane: Very High

>  I know my buddy (who drives an excellent
> looking TC painted in the 70's, an award winning 47 Austin pickup, and 15
> other antique cars - all done in alkyd) is very concerned about toxics and
> has used alkyd exclusively with success for years.

  Concerned about toxics for himself or for the environment?

  Urethane Enamel requires a toxic catalyst, it's out.

  But Acrylic Enamel can be used without the catalyst, I sprayed
my car that way. It's then no more toxic than anything else, and
a dual-charcoal mask is perfectly acceptable for safety.

> We live about 35 km from Halifax and have access to a UAP satellite shop
> just around the corner.  I do not know specifically what my pal uses for
> materials but will find out as we prep the car over the next couple of
> weeks.

  Check into Dupont Centari.

  There is also lacquer to consider. It's VERY easy to apply and
is probably the easiest material for an amateur to get stunning
results out of. You can buff your mistakes right away until it
is perfect. It also dries really fast so dust isn't a problem.

  Downsides to lacquer, doesn't last long, is a bit expensive,
and lacquer mist is extremely flammable so prepare your work
area carefully. (get the compressor outside, no electric
fans or motors, etc)

  I don't have EXTENSIVE experience with alkyd enamel at
all, but it seems to have no real benefit to acrylic except
for cost. For the $20 or so you might save, don't worry
about it.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca