Success -- Cylinder Head Replacement (73B)

Subject: Success -- Cylinder Head Replacement (73B)
From: "Nick Coleman" <coleman@sd.aonix.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 1998 17:18:24 -0700
The B is back on the road w/ a new aluminum head.  Thanks to those who gave
me all the advice it really helped.

Compression is not what I'd thought it would be.  With old head, it was
110-110-85-100.  With the new head, it's 110-110-110-110.  Which is
surprising because when I shot oil into the cylinders of the old head,
compression only went up 5PSI per cylinder.  So, the assumption was that the
rings were in good condition and the valves were the problem.  Guess I'll
have to put an engine rebuild on the list.  Suspect that I've got about 15K
miles left on the clutch.  Will probably do it then.

That said, the B runs a lot smoother and doesn't appear to be using oil.  It
had been going through a quart every 500 miles or so.  Don't have that many
miles on the new head yet, but no puffs of blue smoke when I start it.
Yeahhhhh.

Also, found a hole in my fuel line as I was putting everything back
together.  So, the work probably saved a fire down the road.

Again, thanks to all helped.

Nick
73B     NAMGBR  San Diego MG Club