Re: "Dodge Colt" tube shock conversion

To: <prsmith@navnet.net>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: "Dodge Colt" tube shock conversion
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 07:27:14 -0700
The conversion hasn't gone on the car yet. I've been busy and am waiting for
a couple of free hours one Saturday soon. I will post my reaction to how
well the conversion works with the Monroe Sensa-Tracs.

As to testing lever-arm shocks, first you look to see if they are leaking.
If they are, they need to be replaced. Second, you push the corners of the
car down as hard and as quickly as you can. There should be equal and firm
resistance both sides, and only one firm, controlled return to normal ride
height. Any residual bouncing means the shock/s need replacing. Lastly, if
you must, you can take them off the car, bolt the bodies into a vise, then
work the arms up and down. There should be firm, even resistance throughout
the full range of travel in both directions. Describing what is adequately
firm is difficult, of course, (exactly how long is a piece of string?!), but
you will easily be able to detect if there is no resistance in one direction
or the other, or if there is a dead spot in the middle of the travel.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center