Re: "Dodge Colt" tube shock conversion

To: Lawrie@britcars.com
Subject: Re: "Dodge Colt" tube shock conversion
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 22:05:33 EDT
I agree Lawrie, the Monroe shocks are high (IMHO, unreasonably so)
 The alternative is the Gabriel replacement shock - replacement for the
OEM, not the Monroe.
 While it doesn't have the "gee whiz" factor of the Sensa-trac, it is a
good serviceble shock absorber.
 I've been running mine, which were purchased over the counter at Parts
America for about $17 each, for a bit over 9 months with no complaints
thus far.
  With this, or a similar option, the cost of the conversion will fall in
the $40-50 dollar range.
 While on the subject, I made a couple of modifications to the
installation that may be of interest.
 1.  Being one of those strange individuals who abhor single shear
mounts, I made up the top mount thusly  (per side);
    3 pieces of 3/16" steel plate, 6" by 1 1/2", holes bored and reamed
to match the original shock mount chassis holes.
    2. 5 1/2" X 7/16" grade 8 bolts
    2  7/16" flat washers.
    2 7/16 grade 8 locking nuts.
    1. 7/16" ID steel tube, cut to the same length as the shock mount
tube.
  The two bolts are inserted through one plate, through the chassis from
the fender side, and a second plate is slipped over the bolts on the
inside. On the appropiate mounting bolt, one flat washer, upper shock
mount, second flat washer. On the opposite bolt, the steel tube. Top it
all off with the third plate and lock nuts, torqued to 40-45 lb/ft.
  Makes for a greatly stronger and more ridged shock mount, reducing the
shear force substantially.

2.   The original hole in the spring plate is actually larger than 7/16",
and is a snug fit on a 1/2" bolt.  Replace the lower 7/16" bolt in the
instructions with a 1/2" Grade 8 bolt. To fit to the lower shock mount,
the tube in the shock mount will need to be reamed to 1/2". Easily done
with a 1/2" bit, and a variable speed drill motor running at slow speed.
Using the 1/2" in the lower mount virtually stops any movement and
subsequent "wallowing out" of the spring plate hole.

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget

On Mon, 5 Oct 1998 20:08:27 -0700 "Lawrie  Alexander"
<Lawrie@britcars.com> writes:
>However, if I may add in a comment, all the published information
>about
>Dave's conversion suggests that it can be done for about $40.
>
>I recently visited the "Dodge Colt/MGB tube shock conversion" site and
>wrote
>down the list of parts needed (note - the site specifies Monroe
>Sensa-Trac
>shocks and even tells you the part number to buy), as I wanted to try
>the
>conversion on a '77 B I'd just acquired. Now remember, I'm in the
>trade so,
>theoretically, get good prices on things automotive. The Monroe shocks
>and
>nuts, bolts and washers arrived - along with a bill for nearly $85!
>The
>shocks themselves were nearly $38 apiece.
>
>I still think it looks like a neat conversion, but feel I should warn
>people - especially if you have to pay retail for your parts - that it
>certainly isn't a $40 conversion!
>
>Lawrie
>British Sportscar Center

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]