Re: 1969 MGB wheel bearing problem

To: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@mcione.com>
Subject: Re: 1969 MGB wheel bearing problem
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 04:39:14
At 08:50 PM 10/8/98 -0600, Larry Hoy wrote:
>.... my B .... problem with the wheel bearing on the right front ....
>
>The cotter pin that holds the castlated nut was sheared off.  The bearing
retaining washer had spun on the axle, and is stuck .... The "tang" on the
inside of the bearing retaining washer is no longer in the machined groove
on the axle but about 90 degrees away. ....

>I tried a puller, ....
>
>I tried a air chisel, ....
>
>Before I take the acetylene torch to it .... any suggestions, ....

Oh, how I love a brain teaser!  How about this?

Get a couple bits of square key stock of the appropriate size, about the
right size to fit loosely between the edge of the washer and the inside of
the hub.  Place them on opposite sides of the washer so the forces will be
opposing each other.  Rotate the keys so the corners engage and hopefully
grip the edge of the washer and the inside wall of the hub.  Then rotate
the hub with an appropriately large handle to turn the washer around until
the keying tab once again falls into the key slot.  Thereafter, removal
should be by the book.

If that doesn't work, give another hoot and I'll think of something else.
I can get real creative when there's a problem like that in my own garage.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude