1969 MGB wheel bearing problem

To: "Mgs List Team. Net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: 1969 MGB wheel bearing problem
From: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@mcione.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 20:50:25 -0600
 A couple of days ago while driving my B I felt an odd jerk or sensation which
appeared to be a problem with the wheel bearing on the right front swivel axle.
I was able to "limp" home, and parked the car until today.  Here's what I have
found.

The cotter pin that holds the castlated nut was sheared off.  The bearing
retaining washer had spun on the axle, and is stuck on the axle tight, I mean
real tight.  The "tang" on the inside of the bearing retaining washer is no
longer in the machined groove on the axle but about 90 degrees away.  I have
tried everything I can think of to remove the hub (wire wheel style), but it
won't budge.  I can't remove the bearing retaining washer, and of course the hub
won't slide off.

I tried a puller, fastening it to the outside flange of the hub after removing
the brake rotor bolts.  The only thing that may have happened is the hub flange
may have been bent (just slightly).  Hopefully that can be corrected but I may
have to replace the hub?  I hope not.

I tried a air chisel, hoping to cut the washer in two, but my chisel blades
didn't have much effect on the washer, maybe it is hardened.  The washer is very
deep into the hub and the "backup" for the chisel is not very solid, it just is
not very effective.

Before I take the acetylene torch to it and destroy a $150 hub are there any
suggestions, I hope someone out there has a "miracle" solution.

Thanks in advance.

Larry Hoy
Denver, CO. USA
1969 MGB Roadster
1970 MGB Roadster
1987 Jaguar XJ6 VDP
"It's not how fast you go, it's how fast you go fast"