TD Newbie

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TD Newbie
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 11:22:37 -0500
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com>
Subject: Re: TD Newbie

At 11:47 PM 10/19/98 -0500, Robert Allen wrote:
>Okay, what's a fellow need to take care of a TD? Just how many weird
>wrenches do I gotta buy? What are the good books? What's the ohmigawd
>parts you don't want to break under any circumstances? How do you get
>the damn doors to stay closed? Moss the only US parts vendor?
>--
>Bob Allen, Kansas City
>TD 13588

Ok Bob, its easy.

1. join the NEMGTregister so you can get the Sacred Octagon
2. get the NEMGTR publication the"T Series Handbook" Also get the factory
workshop manual
3. Get the Moss Catalogue and the Abingdon Spares Catalogue (they are the
two main suppliers.)
 4. for tools, you will need a set of Whits , I suggest a set of
combination box and opens, and a set of sockets.
If you need addresses, email me.

Mike

I would add:-

5. You can buy Metrinch tools, which have the added advantage of fitting
your MGA and your metric every-day car, too.  They have their drawbacks,
but I've used mine for my TD restoration with satisfaction.

6.  Join the MG T-series email list.  Send "subscribe mg-t" to
majordomo@autox.team.net.   Not a lot of traffic, yet, but every email is
a gem.  Lots of experts and not a lot of novices asking questions at this
juncture.

7.  If you do any major work at all (engine rebuild) or want to restore
it, get Horst Schach's "MGTD Restoration Guide."  It is the best
_practical_ guide to restoring a TD available.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD in restoration
'51 MGTD in pieces, providing parts
'51, '53, '72 B engine, MGTD providing more parts
'88 Jaguar XJ-S providing transportation

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]