Adventures in tipping (was adventures in towing)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Adventures in tipping (was adventures in towing)
From: baldycotton@pop.mindspring.com
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 09:18:19 -0400
I completely agree with you Dave.  Tipping is for value added and should be
done when appropriate.
Several months ago I needed a tow and got a good one.  The guy was young
and was very very interested in my A, which had a flat.  (Totally my fault,
as I have no spare.)  With my AAA account, the total came to a measily 21
bucks.  Before he hooked me up, he put rags around the hooks so as not to
scratch my underbody and frame.  I didn't even ask, but he could see I was
driving a classic and treated it as such. I was impressed and handed him a
ten spot and thanked him.
I'm kinda like Steve Martin in that movie where he was a mobster in the
witness protection program.  He said... "I don't tip, I tip heavily."  I
especially tip breakfast waitresses heavily.  My Mom was one, and the extra
bit of cash made a difference as to whether or not we had the things the
other kids had.  So if I have any thought that she has a kid in school,
I'll be sure and give her an extra two bucks... in her hand.
I'm not gonna go on about "unsung heroes", but lots of people who perform
services are underpaid, and they deserve better.
Dave Iwansky
'62 MGA 1600 MkII