Re: MGB Tube shock conversion

To: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: MGB Tube shock conversion
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 21:37:39
At 07:03 PM 10/26/98 -0800, Lawrie  Alexander wrote:
>On the road, the Monroe SensaTracs, being gas-filled, actually add a bit
of bounce to the suspension. (When you compress them, they automatically
stretch back out to full length when you let go, unlike a shock which is
just a damper.) ....
>.... Road-holding seems about the same, although I have noticed a tendency
to spin the inside tire on a tight turn more than before.

Interresting observation, and quite astute.  When I installed new leaf
springs on my MGA it raised the rear of the car a bit.  Afterwards it gave
the same handling problem, spin the inside rear wheel easier in a turn.  I
attribute this to running out of suspension travel in the upward direction.
 With a little body roll the rebound strap becomes taught and lifts the
inside wheel off the ground (like about 4" of ground clearance with the
sticky race tires).

Could be the same problem with the gas shocks.  Just a little more lift
raises the rear end enough to cause the rebound strap to go tight in a hard
corner.  Standard shocks may well be better for this application than gas
filled shocks.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude