Valve Seats

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Valve Seats
From: gbaker@customcpu.com (Baker, G.)
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 12:26:43 -0900
All,
  My MGA is engine #BP15GB-1444 and I suspect not virgin. I purchased
hardened seats (both intake and exhaust) from Vicky B and was going over the
head work with my machinist today. For reasons other than just go-fast he
wondered about replacing
the intake seats with 1 5/8" instead of the 1 9/16" OD sent as replacements.
He and
I are worried about "hitting water" if the seats are cut any larger.  I seem
to remember
oversized valves being rather common on buildups but thought I'd run it by the
crew before giving him the OK.  Just for info the exhaust seats were not to
his liking
either and not usable.  He said the intakes would be OK but not his preference.
  I can't seem to remember what the size of the combustion chamber on the 1500
engine is.  If someone tells me again I promise to write it down.
  Finally, we were discussing which seals to use and I mentioned that Chevy
umbrella
type were often used instead of the o-ring.  He stated that if the Oil
deflector is
used that the optional valve seal would not work.  I think this guy is
bright but I
would appreciate any thoughts on this before I make my mind up and spend my
money.

Thanks for the response,
Gregg Baker