Alternator Light, 76B

To: "mgs-digest list" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Alternator Light, 76B
From: "Fred Pixley" <fpixley@kingston.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 08:10:43 -0500
<<
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 04:22:52 PST
From: "John Stephens" <jrs97@hotmail.com>
Subject: Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 04:22:52 PST
From: "John Stephens" <jrs97@hotmail.com>

My alternator light is on even when the alternator is charging the
battery. The light is very dim only visible when it is dark outside. The
battery and alternator appear to be O.K. and I don't have any charging
problems. Is this normal; if not does anyone have a clue as to what the
fix is.
 Thanks in advance, John S.

I think you have a normal Lucasism, at least for 1976.  My 76 Mini 1000
does the same thing and has worked fine for the last five years I've been
running the car.  The indicator light is brighter at idle than at running
speed.  I wouldn't worry and just run the car.  If it bothers you, you
might replace the alternator or the diode pack to eliminate the "glow" but
the replacement may or may not do the same thing.

You won't necessarily have any reduction in output with a glowing indicator
lamp.  I believe the Lucas diode pack has 9 diodes on three plates.  Your
76 will have the later three terminal rectifier but there are two possible
styles.  Of the three terminals the two large ones might be electrically
common or insulated form each other. If you solder in the wrong one for
your alternator it will damage the diodes.  Use a heat sink on the diode
wire when soldering.

Fred