Re: Starting a stored car.

To: "Skye Poier" <skye@ffwd.bc.ca>, "Kenneth Scott" <KSCOTT@holycross.edu>
Subject: Re: Starting a stored car.
From: "Harlan Jillson" <hjillson@argolink.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 18:57:31 -0600
Skye,
   I think the idea is that if you can turn the motor/oil pump enough to
build up oil pressure
before you start the engine you insure that there is a good film of oil on
the bearings before
the engine starts firing and trying to drive the rods through the crankshaft
( less load on the
bearing surfaces without the engine running).  The crank/rods are supposed
to float on a
thin film of oil between them and the bearings, and when it's not there the
wear rate goes up
astronomically.
   The purists will go for the 'pump the system full with an external pump'
method so you don't
even turn the motor over, but that's a bit of a pain and most of the folk I
know don't go that far.
Harlan.