Re: Starting a stored car.

To: MGs@Autox.Team.Net, skye@ffwd.bc.ca
Subject: Re: Starting a stored car.
From: "Kenneth Scott" <KSCOTT@holycross.edu>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 08:32:16 -0500
The reason for doing this is to move oil while the engine is turning =
slowly and, hopefully, placing less stress on it's components.  While I =
can't give hard figures on the stresses it makes sense (I think) that a =
slowly turning engine is placing less stress on it's parts than a rapidly =
turning one.  With the plugs removed and therefore less pressure on main =
bearings the stress reduction would be even greater.  This is all =
speculation but in the 9 years I have done this the oil pressure in my MG =
(bought with 78,000 miles on it and now has 158,000 miles) has remained =
excellent and I have done this every spring after idle storage for about 5 =
to 6 months.  YMMV.  Again, just my $0.02.
Ken Scott
77 MGB

Word on the street is that Kenneth Scott said:
> Excellent advice.  The only thing I would add is, find a way to turn it
> over without starting (remove plugs or whatever) and turn it over =
several
> times without starting.  This will put a bit of oil into it before it is
> running.  Don't do it enough to burn out the starter but until the oil
> pressure guage comes to life.  Removing the plugs and preventing gas =
from
> being pumped in would probably give the safest and fastest turnover
> rate.

I've seen this advice before and it confuses me a little - if is the goal =
lubricate the parts before the engine bits are moving, what difference =
does
it make if its running or just turning over?

I've heard references to hooking up an aux oil pumping system to run oil
through the galleries, which would make much more sense to me.

But I might be missing something.

Skye

--
1966 MGB               GHN3L-70307                __,__\__      Finger for
The MGB Experience     http://www.mgb.bc.ca/     (_o____o_)     PGP key