Re: Used Webber Price / is it worth it ?

To: "David Deutsch" <drded@ix.netcom.com>, <rrobertstr4@email.com>
Subject: Re: Used Webber Price / is it worth it ?
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 1998 09:45:44 -0500
On 11/7/98 6:26 AM so and so (David Deutsch) said. (And I quote:)

Much as I hate to agree with David :-) - I will on this one. The best
thing I ever did for the Midget was scrap the ZS and get a Weber. I got a
new one with a Pierce manifold from British Parts Connection (a Moss
Reseller) for about $350 including shipping. Took about 3 hours to put it
on (already had headers on the 1500) and tune it by ear. Next morning it
passed emmisions in PA. Have hardly ever had to adjust it and it has more
power, especially when I kick in the second barrel.

Larry Macy
78 Midget
>You wrote:
>>
>>For a 78 MGB, an auto parts store wants to sell me a slightly(?) used
>Webber carb. for $300.
>>My books aren't in yet, does this seem to be a fair price?
>
>You can locate a new Weber conversion kit for that price. I have and
>recently bought, what I hope to be, an excellent condition used for
>$200 including shipping. Bare in mind that you have other
>conciderations, such has need for an earlier exhaust manifold and some
>exhaust front pipe reconfiguring to match new stuff to existing exhaust
>system. This is why the use if exhaust Headers is so popular. The
>header system will replace the manifold and front pipe all at once. You
>have to figure that to convert a single carb equipped B to a Weber will
>run you from $450 to $600 with the variable being in how much of the
>work you're going to do yourself and source of materials.
>
>I recently saw someone questioning performance difference from the ZS
>to a Weber. It's night and day, I reccomend to the conversion to anyone
>with a ZS equipped B. It's the biggest bang for your buck, 20 - 30 HP
>increase in a half a day's work. The problem is whether you'll get thru
>emmissions in your state after the conversion is done. Many states will
>still want to see a Catalitic Converter in the system. If you need to
>fit one in the formula it is doable but the additional cost and drop in
>performance gain doesn't make since to me.
>
>Lastly I do not reccomend Webers instead of S.U.s. In fact I have a 75
>B that was converted to S.U.s from ZS and I wouldn't change a thing.
>But who asked me anyway?
>
>Safety Fast,
>David Deutsch
>Membership Coordinator
>North American MGB Register
>1-800-NAMGBR-1 for info

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Manager/Administrator
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have for windows or
gates?