MG Racing History

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MG Racing History
From: AKBLACKLEY@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 1998 10:39:45 EST
I am surprised that someone would think that MG is somehow deficient in racing
history. First, MG owners practically created sports car racing in North
America (before the TR or the Big Healeys even existed). They were
instrumental in starting the Watkins Glen Road Race and similar (Put-In Bay
Road Race, etc.). The MGB I believe also had class wins in the Monte Carlo
Rally, and success at Lemans in the early 60s. Not to mention thousands of
club racing wins in the UK and SCCA class wins in the US. The Miata of its
day? Maybe, but unlike its Mazda successor the MGB had PLENTY of real racing
success. It was never meant to be a thorough bred racer ala Ferrari, but as
the sports car for everyman (or woman) it was, and remains, an outstanding
success. Just one mans opinion. Cheers, Andy Blackley