Re: Looking for an MBG

To: ecastil@arrakis.es
Subject: Re: Looking for an MBG
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 22:07:55 EST
On Mon, 9 Nov 1998 08:58:16 +0100 "Kique" <ecastil@arrakis.es> writes:
>Hello to all from Spain:
>
>I have just arrived to this fine mail-list.
>
>I am starting searching for an MGB Roadster to buy, afther 13 years of
>my
>first MGB drive (a red roadster ´69 version with wire painted wheels).
>
>What is it the better year version for a daily use?
>
>Overdrive?
>
>What about unleaded fuel?
>
>Goods books to know more about pre-buy check?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Kique Morcillo
>
>ecastil@arrakis.es

We certainly are getting to be more international all the time - i dont
recall a spanish posting before.....
I have no idea how easy (or hard) it may be to find a car in spain - I
know there are two on Ibiza - ive seen them but i dont think theyre for
sale!!

See if you can obtain a copy of  "MGB Guide to Purchase and Restoration"
by Lindsay Porter - this will cover all the major items to look for in a
car you are inspecting and will give you an idea of what "problems" are
major and which are less significant.
The biggest problem is RUST - if you are looking in spain i imagine this
is less of a problem than in northern europe - pretty much anything can
be rebuilt if you throw enough money into it but bodywork is the most
expensive.

A well run in engine (over 34,000 km) will function fine with unleaded
fuel but if you are rebuilding the engine you can get hardened valves and
seats to compensate

Overdrive - sure if you can get it!!

Good luck

mike robson