Re: O.D. - to clutch or not to clutch...

To: CIAG6@aol.com
Subject: Re: O.D. - to clutch or not to clutch...
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 22:07:55 EST
Y'know I dont think i really have a strong opinion on this - Ive been
mulling it over for the past two days watching the pros and cons of
clutching and declutching and have come to the conclusion that its
another matter for personal taste and driving style.
For example, i dont use the clutch on either of my cars when shifting in
and out of o/d but i do "position" the engine speed so as to make the
change smooth. Changing up, the 4th o/d is best suited at around 40mph
with constant throttle - changing down, at about the same speed, i find
that letting off the throttle helps when slowing sown wheras "blipping"
it is useful if accelerating. im guessung that using the clutch would be
a help if changing down at higher speeds but frankly i never take it out
of o/d above about 45 - i change down to 3rd if im passing or similar,
otherwise the o/d is either in or out - depending on the road conditions.
Id have thought that creating "clunks" or wheel "chirps"  basically means
the car is changing down at too high a speed - a bit like slamming it
into 3rd at 65 and popping the clutch..... all to damn much for an old
fart like me!!

mike robson
69 roadster (new o/d smooth as a gravy sandwich)
70 BGT (cruisin at 90 in o/d today!)
53 Riley (no o/d but the leggiest 4 speed ive ever driven!)