Re: New MGB GT Owner questions

To: Mark Jones <mjones@ngl.ca>
Subject: Re: New MGB GT Owner questions
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 19:26:56 +0000
Mark Jones wrote:

> I do have a question that I am hoping someone can help my with.  I was
> driving home yesterday and the car just died.  I tried starting it but no
> fire.  I could hear the fuel pump running, but no spark.  I let it sit for
> about 20 minutes and tried again and it sprang to life.  Is this a coil
> problem?
>
> Once on the road again the tachometer and the temperature needles would
> starting moving from normal to zero and back up again intermittently.  For
> one moment to tact read zero, the next 3500 rpm.  What is going on?  Is my
> voltage regulator shot?  By the way my fuel gauge doesn't work so it always
> reads E.

Fuel pump but no spark indicates that part of the white circuit, at
least is OK so that leaves the wiring to the coil, the coil itself, or
the points.  A fault around the coil will affect the tach, but shouldn't
affect the temp gauge.  The temp and tach acting up together indicates a
fault on the green circuit *before* the stabiliser i.e. fuse.  If the
engine was cutting out as well then that points back to the white
circuit.

I am fairly sure that even if some later cars had an electronic voltage
stabiliser the 73 had an electro-mechanical unit.  This works by
switching 12v on and off a couple of times a second that *averages*
around 10v.  A fault in the stabiliser would only affect components on
the light-green/green circuit.

PaulH.