Re: MGA: Optional Headlamp Flasher Relay

To: doddk@mossmotors.com
Subject: Re: MGA: Optional Headlamp Flasher Relay
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 22:44:40 EST
I don't know about the relay, but I've run into a couple of instances of
other parts that were otherwise identical having "different" numbers.
 Example.  A friend not long ago bought his wife an XJ6 Jag.  When he got
it, one of the side marker lights was not working. Checking it out, he
determined the lampholder itself was loose in the base. He dropped by the
Jag dealer and signed a long term mortage to get a new one. Getting it
home, he decided it looked awfully like his 74 MGB side marker light.
Sure enough, a careful comparison showed they were the same.  While the
numbers on the part itself were the same, the Jag part box (lucas) showed
a different part number than that of the MG parts manual.
   It's not an uncommon practice in the industry for "generic" parts to
have multiple part numbers for different applications, many times with a
pricing structure keyed to the perceived  level of the vehicles market,
rather than an accounting/economic pricing scheme.

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget