Re: MGA: Optional Headlamp Flasher Relay

To: doddk@mossmotors.com
Subject: Re: MGA: Optional Headlamp Flasher Relay
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 23:28:02 EST
On Sat, 28 Nov 1998 09:00:01 -0800 "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
writes:
>Rick:
>       Apologies for the delay.
>       The Jag side marker rubber base has a different x-section than
>the B.  Hence the different part number.  Silly but true.  The lamp
>bits
>are identical.  Knowing this, the customer could reuse the original
>rubber mounting base and buy a B assy. cheaper.  Pricing is usually
>based on shelf cost, how many inventory turns.  The B market has much
>faster turnover, hence cheaper pricing.  In the secondary market,
>competition and perceived value do play a part in pricing. Some
>retailers definitely mark up parts based on the vehicle type.
>       I'm still looking for an example of identical parts having
>different part numbers.
>
>Kelvin.

The Jag/MGB parts thing reminds me of an anecdote I read some time back
in a history of the Jaguar.
 At the time the merger was being finalized which would bring Jaguar into
the "fold" and result in "Jaguar-Rover-Triumph" (JRT), the day after the
merger was announced, the Jaguar parts procurement office had a line of
manufacturers reps waiting to get in. Seems they all had the same
request. "Don't tell Rover how much you are paying for our parts".
 Apparently Jaguar had a good (read aggressive) procurment department and
managed to get lower prices than anyone else.
 One example given was the seller of the Speedo faces (Smiths?) which was
the same as used on another car sold by the Rover group. Seems Jaguar was
paying something like 30p less than Rover.

Sometimes clout can overcome market forces.

Back to the side marker light, the profile difference must be quite
minor, as "Fritz" (my buddy) was unable to see it visually.

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget