SU's vs Webers when converting a rubbernose

Subject: SU's vs Webers when converting a rubbernose
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 16:58:40 +1000
Hi all,

I've read quite a bit lately on SU's, Webers etc and I'm not sure why there
are so many people out there with rubbernose cars converting to a Weber when
they could convert to SU's. As far as I'm aware a single Weber *may* have an
advantage at very high RPM's (3-5 bhp according to the Special Tuning manual
with other mods) but SU's have the advantage lower down, producing more
torque - at least thats what I hear from many racers and the books I've
read - but essentially overall performance is similar - power band is
different. If you own a single carbed B why not replace them with dual SU's
instead of a single Weber? They leave more space in the engine bay thanks to
the smaller intake, and are more 'original' than webers. They also look
quite pleasant! I'm not bagging Webers (I'd love a pair of sidedraft DCOE's
and a xflow head!) I'm just genuinely wondering why Webers are chosen before
SU's. Is it a supply issue or one of 'perception', as Webers are really seen
as performance carburettors..

I'd like to hear some comments on this rubbernose issue. The Weber route is
chosen far more often than the SU when changing from single carbs to
increase performance (*without* other engine mods!! not talking about head
work, headers etc) - I'd think you'd get similar performance by going to
dual HS4 SU's on a std car. I've never experienced a late model rubbernose
so I can't appreciate how 'impaired' they actually are. My GT is no
bahnstormer even as std with 94hp, in good nick with dual carbs, a lot more
has to be done to improve it's performance! Heck even my A eats it for
breakfast! <G> Yes, it really does.

Cheers,
Neil.
--