Re: SU's vs Webers when converting a rubbernose

To: "bill" <pplusb@northlink.com>, "Steven Tritle" <stritle@epix.net>,
Subject: Re: SU's vs Webers when converting a rubbernose
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 11:00:00 -0800
Well, that may be your experience, but it isn't mine.

I have found the Webers bulletproof and truely 'set and forget', no more
carb synchronisation, no more leaky throttle shafts, no more stuck floats
or worn jets (and the resultant petrol leakage).

Before you say that is routine maintenance stuff or worn parts, that is my
whole point. Over time you may (will?) have to do more with SUs. Even the
throttle linkage b/n the (dual) SUs is hokey and requires adjustment and
the resultant balancing.

The Weber does work very well when it is setup right. If it isn't set up
correctly you *will* have flat spots, poor economy etc etc.

On my rally spridget with hot 1380 motor and a DCOE45, I won the
club's economy rally with 45mpg. I was up against many SU equipped
cars. SU doesn't necessarily mean economy and Weber doesn't necessarily
mean gas guzzler.

(to achieve really good economy with a weber, you either have to be gentle
on the accelerator (to avoid the overuse of the accelerator pump) or lean
off
the pump jet. No I don't *normally* drive that way.)

I still have SUs on a number of my cars, including the 67 BGT, and I am
happy enough with them when they are in good nick and setup properly,
I just can't countenance myth presented as fact - either as zealotism (?)
or misunderstanding.

Not sure about the B, but Webers were a BMC Special Tuning part for the
Spridgets. Was that also true for the 'B'?

Mike