SUs vs. Webers

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: SUs vs. Webers
From: ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov (Peter Schauss x 2014)
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 15:29:02 -0500
>From my own experience:

Cost:

I paid less than $300 for a new set of HS4s, $50 each for used
intake and exhaust manifolds (heat shield was included).

(The guy I bought mine from had an ad in Hemmings.  Last time
I checked he did not have any more.)

Maintenance:

There is no way for the oil to leak out.  I add oil when I tune
them.

I adjust mine once a year after the guy at my gas station has
done what he had to do to make the car base NY emissions.
If you follow the instructions in the shop manual they are very
simple to balance and tune.

The SU tool kit which Moss sells has a carb balancing rig
consisting of a couple of bent wires which you insert into
the carb pistons.  You line these up so that the pointers are
at the same level with the engine off.  Then, with the
engine idling, you can see if the pistons are rising to the
same level, indicating equal air flow.  This is much easier to
use than the Unisyn.

Peter Schauss, Long Island, NY
ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov
schauss@worldnet.att.net