Re: Gauge Problem

To: john.griffen@savannah.chatham.k12.ga.us
Subject: Re: Gauge Problem
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 18:24:32 -0800
Word on the street is that john.griffen@savannah.chatham.k12.ga.us said:
>      I just purchased my first MGB  (1980).   I am not very experienced
> with electronics except installing a few radios.  The tachometer does not
> respond normally....I have to tap the gauge for it to register
> normally.....any suggestions?    Also the gas gauge does'nt seem to be
> working right either.   When I fill up....it registers Full.....this after
> only about 45  minutes of driving...the gauge falls normally
> then.........after 5 minutes more its on the empty line.   I refill the gas
> tank but It only needed 5 gallons so it could'nt be losing gas like that.
> Also I sometimes smell a gas leak...is this related?   Thanks in advance

First, welcome to the family!

The tachometer works off pulses of electricity through a loop of wire at
the back of the gauge - if its sticking, more than likely it just needs
to be cleaned, since there aren't really any moving parts to get jammed
or stripped or whatnot.

Is your temperature gauge working normally?  (someone correct me if I've
got this wrong)  The temp gauge and gas gauge both work off the voltage
stabilizer - if its toast, they will both be acting strangely.  Otherwise,
get a good wiring diagram for your car (ie Haynes) and clean all the
connectors and especially the GROUND connection on the fuel tank sending
unit.   If that doesn't fix it you probably need a new sending unit which
will involve removing the gas tank.

As for the gas smell, its probably not related to the gauge problems.
It could be an overflowing carb (stuck float valve flooding the carbon
canister?), a rusted out gas tank, or cracked or otherwise inoperable
fuel evaporation reclamation system. See this link for more tips:

http://www.mgb.bc.ca/service/tips/fuel.html#3

Some of my info might be wrong as I'm more familiar with earlier cars
(which have dual SU carbs and practically no emissions equipment) than later
models like yours.

Skye

--
1966 MGB               GHN3L-70307                __,__\__      Finger for
The MGB Experience     http://www.mgb.bc.ca/     (_o____o_)     PGP key