Re: MG's and Bad weather Was: SUV's & Crash Worthyness

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MG's and Bad weather Was: SUV's & Crash Worthyness
From: dresden@tiac.net
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 06:10:43 -0500 (EST)
Mike Lishego said:

>I hate to add a "me too" but this touched a nerve with me. Here's a
>slightly  different point of view.  What about us poor folks who
>have to use their MG's as daily drivers?  To get myself through my
>last year of college, I had to sell my daily driver and make 100%
>sure Little Miss was ready to go.  Do I regret it?  Not one bit, it
>was the best choice I could have made.

I agree. I had an LBC as a daily driver for more than two years when I was
younger, and only ended up late for something  three or four times due to
the car. Many people have had a worse time with much newer and more
"reputable" models. I hope to be going back to school next fall, and when I
do, I plan to have the B ready to go, and to get rid of my Toyota.
Considering how much Japanese parts cost, and how much harder problems with
newer cars are to diagnose and fix, and that I don't want to make car
payments while in school, it's really the only sensible choice. (OK,
there's also the fact that I really like my B, and can't wait to be driving
it). As far as rust is concerned, there is a whole lot of sheet metal out
there, used or brand new, and if after 10 years you have to tear it apart
and drive a cheap beater while replacing some things, you've still spent
less than some people spend to drive a Lincoln for a few years. (Compare
resale values from new to five years old on those, and then from 20 years
to 25 years old on a B...quite an eye opener).

There will always be a place for show cars, and I appreciate the efforts of
those who take on the job of museum curator with a single exhibit; it's
nice to see flawless examples. I have no plans on making mine into one. I
plan on driving it to shows, and other places, and parking with the masses.