Bleeding Hell

To: MG <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Bleeding Hell
From: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 14:08:49 -0500
Hi All,
I am pleased.  After all these years of mooching around these hallowed
halls of knowledge, I believe I can now offer something in return.  On a
subject dear to our hearts - brake bleeding.  Below is a summary of the
methods used on my two Midgets.
1.  Brother-in-law method.  This was shown to me by my brother-in-law, a
professional mechanic, and is my favorite method.  He is crouched by the
front wheel yanking a wrench up and down on the bleeder .  I'm pumping th=
pedal.  When he judges the stream of brake fluid is free of air, he
tightens it down and runs to the other wheel, where we do the same.  Tota=
time involved is about 28 seconds and gives a nice firm pedal.  Slight
drawback is that the floor is covered in brake fluid. =

2.  Tubing from bleeder into jam jar.  Wife pumps pedal.  Me with wrench
yelling instructions.  Not recommended.
3.  EZ Bleed.  Good method for removing unsightly paint from engine
compartment and driver's door sill.  Uses about 2 gallons of  the special=

brake fluid only sold in a store (sometimes) 34 miles away.  Also require=
renewing the special relationship with the spare tire - that heavy, smell=
y,
rusty, deflated thing found in the deep and dark recesses of the trunk
where all the spiders live. =

 (Actually, does a great job of bleeding the clutch - no doubt because th=
metal cap on the reservoir seals better)
4.  Saving the best to last.  This method uses a contraption consisting o=
a tube with a one way valve at one end.  The other end is fitted over the=

bleeder. (I'm trying hard not say to that word.  OK, here goes..nipple,
nipple, NIPPLE, nipple)  Anyway,  undo the bleeder, run round and pump th=
pedal.  The one way valve allows fluid out (when the pedal is pressed) bu=
does not allow air back in (when the pedal is released)  Does a great job=
.
It is available from Moss (Vizibleed Bleeding Aid) for about $12 (Made in=

England) or from your local store - I got another one from Pep Boys for
about $5 (Made in You-know-where)  The tubing on the end of this one
managed to split (unbeknown to me) when I was bleeding the Toyota.  The
valve, incidentally, consists of a spring and ball-bearing!
While I'm at it I thought I would mention another tool from Moss that was=

of great help.  It's a constrictor that can squeeze the rubber brake line=
and stop all the fluid running out when, say, the back wheel cylinders ar=
replaced.  Works great.

Happy Bleeding Holidays,   Adrian