Re: Bleeding Hell

To: "Adrian Jones" <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>, "MG" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Bleeding Hell
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 10:23:55 -0500
On 12/5/98 2:08 PM so and so (Adrian Jones) said. (And I quote:)

>Hi All,
>I am pleased.  After all these years of mooching around these hallowed
>halls of knowledge, I believe I can now offer something in return.  On a
>subject dear to our hearts - brake bleeding.  Below is a summary of the
>methods used on my two Midgets.
>1.  Brother-in-law method.
SNIP
>2.  Tubing from bleeder into jam jar.  Wife pumps pedal.  Me with wrench
>yelling instructions.  Not recommended.
Agreed
>3.  EZ Bleed.
SNIP
>4.  Saving the best to last.  This method uses a contraption consisting of
>a tube with a one way valve at one end.  The other end is fitted over the
>bleeder.
SNIP
>Happy Bleeding Holidays,   Adrian

5. Shop Vac Method.  Mentioned a couple of years ago on this list. Used
by yours truly succesfully. Get a a ShopVac, a Kodak film canister, a
length of rubber tubing (clear orks best 'cuz ypou can see the fluid).
Cut hole in bottom of film canister to fit tubing. Slip film canister
over end of Vac hose, fit tubing into hole in film canister, fit other
end of tubing over brake bleeder nipple. Open brake bleeder, turn vac on.
Watch for the air to come out through the clear tubing. Run to front of
car, fill brake resivoir. Repeat as necessary, using a gallon or so of
brake fluid ;-).
Of course the last item should be first or you can go through a lot of
brake fluid and still have air, maybe just air, in the brake lines.
Works very well for flushing those lines out after the LBC has been
parked for several years.

Larry Macy
78 Midget (good brakes with a good balance - tested in real life)

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Manager/Administrator
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have for windows or
gates?