Re: Towbar for MGB

To: Harris Goldstein <hgoldstein@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: Towbar for MGB
From: Dave McCauley <cozypow@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 1998 21:21:12 -0600
MGB's are quite easy to tow with a bar.  In fact I just towed mine today.
My towbar is a simple A-frame triangle made of 1 1-4" round stock welded
to a ball tongue on one end (the peak of the 'A').  on the bottom legs I
have two L-shaped pieces from 5/8" stock with two bolts.  One goes through
A-frame the other goes straight into the bolts on the bumper.  The
overriders have to be removed (no big deal) and a bolt goes through the
bumber mounts.  Two bolts, hook to truck, pull.

I've pulled it 50+ miles this way with a 4-cylinder Ford Ranger pickup
with very little power, so it's not very hard to pull, and easy to stop.
Keep in mind this is in the flat-lands of Louisiana, so no hills!  The
only limit to distance are the hills between starting point and
destination and what you have to pull it with.

Of course none of this will work if you have a rubber MGB!

-dave-

Dave McCauley            What's the use in complaining when you
Baton Rouge, LA           got what you don't need?