HIF-4 needles

To: "MG List" <Mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: HIF-4 needles
From: "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 12:39:46 -0500
Hello all,
    I've heard on the list from time to time that when changing air
cleaners to K&N, a different profile needle would be required to get
a good mix.  I have HIF-4's on my '74 B, and I've found that the
mixture leans out as rpm's increase - at least that's what my spark
plug analysis tells me.
    I've also noticed that my car will run slightly rich when going
around campus, using significantly more gas than when on a highway.
I don't really feel like melting a piston while on a trip because
the car is too lean.
    I will say that the car has a vacuum leak somewhere near the
number one carb, but I think this is due to failed emissions
stuff...Would this have anything to do with the symptoms I'm seeing?
    Can anyone tell me the parts number of the needles I need, and
bonus points to anyone who can tell me the Moss stock number!

Michael S. Lishego
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/3706/