Re: Broken Exhaust Manifolds on MGBs

To: rsaggi@fcw-inc.com
Subject: Re: Broken Exhaust Manifolds on MGBs
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 20:06:16 EST
On Mon, 14 Dec 1998 09:00:09 -0800 Raja Saggi <rsaggi@fcw-inc.com>
writes:
>Hi everybody!
>About a month and 1000 miles ago, I took my daily driver, a 77 MGB to
>an =
>MG expert for a routine checkup. He found the exhaust manifold broken
>- =
>I bought a used one from him for $300 and he installed it for another
>=
>$400.=20
>
>Now, the manifold is broken again. I wonder if any of you have =
>experienced such a problem. Is this a symptom of something else, or
>did =
>I just get stuck with a bad used manifold ? He did check the old =
>manifold before selling it to me. (This is for a single Zenith carb)
>
>Either way, with new manifolds going for $575, and another $400 labour
>=
>likely, Christmas and New Year are going to be quiet occasions this =
>year.
>
>Cheers

You appear to have been the victim of a highly unscrupulous and usurous
mechanic
A used ZS exhaust manifold shouldnt have cost you more than 75-100 bucks
and possibly less if you ask around (i have an SU one you couldve had for
50!)...plus... the dolt has charged you for something like seven hours of
labour to put it on - you can change the whole bloody engine in less time
and my guess is that it took no more than an hour to two for him to do
it.
The folk on the list who do this for a living can doubtless give you
better figures- and can also fix the problem at a fairer price depending
upon where you are .
I suggest you tell the list where you are, get an estimate from a PROPER
shop then take it to this asshole along with a baseball bat to negotiate
a "suitable" rebate -namely all of it!
Secondly - tell us who this character is so we can avoid him and/or wreak
vengeance upon him ......

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT