Re: Broken Exhaust Manifolds on MGBs

To: rsaggi@fcw-inc.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Broken Exhaust Manifolds on MGBs
From: Speedo79@aol.com
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 16:32:09 EST
Raja,

Popular opinion has it that you have been taken for a ride.  I most certainly
agree.  One thing to look for; however, with the '77 and later B's, is that
there are actually two different manifolds used.  The "early" manifold was
very prone to cracking due to a lack of reinforcement in the elbow portion of
the exhaust manifold.  The "later" (for lack of a better term) casting was a
better casting in that it had a "U" shaped reinforcement cast into the weak
part.  I have heard of many causes for the cracks appearing...everything from
engine overheating, catalytic converter overheating due to an overly rich
mixture, an improperly secured exhaust system (make sure the front bracket
connected to the transmission is secure), to body flex.
        When you find a new or used manifold, be sure to look for the 'U" or "J"
shaped reinforcement...to people in "the know," the later manifold is more
desirable, and therefor more expensive.
        Funny thing is, when my manifold cracked in the same way, I went through
"hell and high water" to find a good one, but after I had paid through the
nose for one (read $250 and a full day's drive), I found one of the later
manifolds at the local junk yard  for $30.

Good luck!
Steve Sanchez
"Driving daily in a '77 'B"