Re: Positive earth Systems

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, ddwelley@UU.NET
Subject: Re: Positive earth Systems
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 17:02:28 EST
>My 77 Midget looks to be a Positive Earth car but I seem to recall reading
>somewhere that Positive Earth was phased out (no pun intended) around 1968.
>Is this true or were positive earth cars available through 1980. Is there
>another way to check this out other than just looking at the color of the
>battery cables and which one is grounded to the frame?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Dan,

All 1977s were negative earth.  If the negative cable from the battery is
grounded to the frame (Or the block. I'm not sure and I'm not near the car.),
and the positive cable goes to the starter solenoid  (I'm sure of that one.),
it is negative earth.  DO NOT rely on the color of the cables.  Both of mine
are black, and both of the cables in my sons pick up truck are red.  DPOs are
almost all color blind.

I can't imagine anyone going to the trouble of converting an LBC to positive
earth!

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport (also negative ground)