RE: Positive earth Systems

To: "'Bud Krueger'" <bkrueger@ici.net>
Subject: RE: Positive earth Systems
From: "Dan Dwelley" <ddwelley@UU.NET>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 09:40:28 -0500
Bud,

The car is suppose to be negative earth and does have an alternator. Just
because the car has an alternator doesn't mean the DPO didn't TRY to change
the system over. If you were able to meet the guy I bought/rescued this car
from...you'd understand completely why I originally posted this question to
the list. I understand that alternators are a negative system but didn't
know if it was original equip on this car or if the DPO replaced a generator
with an alternator...I digress back to the third sentence of this reply. :o)

What I have decided to do is this:

I've got the Bentley shop manual for the 75-79 Midget 1500. It shows the
electrical schematic for the 76 Midget, which I assume is pretty much the
same for the 77 (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). I'm going to
completely go over every inch of the wiring before I connect a battery to
the system ( I believe it is the safest thing to do considering that I have
a chunk of harness in with the parts the DPO gave me and I have no idea
where he cut it from! (yes...CUT it from)).

Thanks for questioning. Some of the best answers are in the form of a
question. :o)

Dan Dwelley
77 Midget
Alexandria, Va.