Re: Cold Weather Starting

To: richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D Arnold)
Subject: Re: Cold Weather Starting
From: Jack Severson <jesevers@students.wisc.edu>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 11:58:08 -0600
Rich,

I had a carbureted truck and have a fuel injected GEO now,  that start best
in cold weather with the following ritual:
Set choke (truck only); crank engine just a couple turns; crank again causes
instant start at a good high idle.
Just cranking right from the start takes maybe 5-7 seconds to start and then
both vehicles kind of stumbled for a moment until they picked up high idle.

 Ordinarily not a real concern, but in marginal conditions (10 below after
sitting outside for 8 hours at work) the method is comforting.
Not how the manuals say to do it.  Any other procedure in cold weather was
asking for flooding or a stall right after the engine began to run.

I bet there are lots of starting routines out there.

Think I'm gonna go check my battery. It's about 5 degrees here in Madison, WI

-- Jack