Re: Cold Weather Starting

To: "Rick Brown" <mgrick@ptd.net>, "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Subject: Re: Cold Weather Starting
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 09:34:29 -0500
On 12/30/98 6:15 PM so and so (Rick Brown) said. (And I quote:)

>Dan Ray wrote:
>>
>> The Loctite teflon thread sealant seems to have done the trick on the brake
>> line fittings!
>>
>> For the first time, the B failed to start. It's only 25 degrees outside, so
>> rather than burn the starter out, I decided to give her a break for now. The
>> car has been sitting in the driveway for a while except for a quick spin
>> around the block the other day -- started no problem in mid-40 degree
>> weather.
>> How do all you Northern folks do it? I suppose a garage would help, hmm?
>> What are the tricks for starting in cold weather? Or should I just be
>> patient and wait until it gets above freezing?
>>
>> Dan
>> 73 B
>
>Well Dan this morning was about 29 degrees and my BGT started
>right up - she sits in an unheated barn overnight - however tonight
>when I got to the park and ride the temp had dropped to about 14 degrees
>and I had a little bit of trouble starting her. But she did start
>and after letting her warm up a bit had no further problems on the
>drive home.
>
>Rick
Now, this AM (about 1:30) I took the daughter's boyfriend home. 14F The
daughter wanted to go in the Midget. She sat in the middle, he sat in the
passenger seat. Started right up. Pertronix and Weber to the Emotional
Rescue (well I got tired of the FZ thread - thought I'd try RS) Took a
little while to get the frost off the windsheild, but with the hardtop on
it was't really a bad drive.

Larry Macy
Frozen 78 Midget

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Manager/Administrator
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have for windows or
gates?