Re: "Crack of Doom"

To: mgs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: "Crack of Doom"
From: dresden@tiac.net
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 16:51:11 -0500 (EST)
>dresden@tiac.net wrote:
>> AH HA! After reading Trevor's description, I think I may actually HAVE the
>> crack of doom, though to me, the fix described doesn't seem all that
>> difficult, so I don't see why such an appellation is affixed to the
>> problem.
>
>  Well, the fix involved is not difficult, but requires
>welding and painting. There are no satisfactory quick
>fixes that don't require bodywork. As well, it LOOKS like
>you could just weld up the crack in one bead, but if
>you do, it comes back.
>
>  So you really do have to make
>the area look worse before you can make it look
>better. ;>
>
>--
>Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
>Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca
>ICQ #17432933 http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/

Trevor,

That's pretty much the plan...to take the doors off and take them to a
friend who has a welding rig available, and to weld what I've begun
referring to as "Trevor's COD-piece" behind the hole. (Although, as I
mentioned, with my own car, it doesn't look that severe, but that sort of
fix won't hurt anyway. I probably could get away with just some filler, as
they're small, and right at the tops of the door, but then again, maybe
not, and why muck around, right?)