Re: Alternator or battery problem or what?

To: mgs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: Alternator or battery problem or what?
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 21:12:51 +0000
Paul Hunt wrote:

> The standard alternator will almost certainly show a difference in
> brightness between idle and off idle, but shouldn't at higher engine
> speeds unless you have other heavy loads connected at the same time.
> With the engine running you should see about 14.5 volts at all times
> except under heavy load at idle, where it will be lower.

Thanks Paul,

I really think I am just suffering from a bit of PTS (Pre-Trip Paranoia)
or PTOS (Pre-Trip Over-Sensitivity).  I am hearing rattles, groans,
bumps, clicks and squeals that seemingly were not there before but I
think I am just listening so intently that many of these are coming from
my old bones and joints and NOT the car.

The lights probably are not dimming/brightening any more than usual but
I *will* measure this voltage drop for my peace of mind.

> What do you mean 'no ignition light warnings'?

I meant the warning that I got when my alternator last died... and that
is when the ignition light stays on after you turn the car off (which I
ignored last time until the headlights went out and the car just STOPPED
at night and in pouring rain)!  It told me but I didn't listen!

Eric
'68MGB MkII