Catalytic converter Z-S to SU conversion

To: mgs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Catalytic converter Z-S to SU conversion
From: ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov (Peter Schauss x 2014)
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 10:29:46 -0500
Has anyone ever tried fitting a generic catalytic converter
in front of the front muffler on a post 74 1/2 MGB?

I converted mine to dual HS4s several years ago and although my
sympathetic mechanic gets it past the New York emissions for me,
it is getting to be a bit of a pain every year.

Looking at the layout of the exhaust system, it appears that I could
cut out a section of the head pipe in front of the first muffler
and splice in a small catalyst.

Has anyone tried this?  If so, what parts did you use and,
more important, did it work?

Was it necessary to add extra heat shielding?

Thanks

Peter Schauss, Long Island, NY
ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov
schauss@worldnet.att.net