Re: Off-Topic and Long: Dates

To: Richard D Arnold <richard.arnold@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Off-Topic and Long: Dates
From: C David Lynes <cdlynes@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 10:39:59 -0500
Bill,

I appreciate your remarks and thought I might add my thoughts...

When it comes to reasons to party and celebrate, conventional wisdom
seems to be to go with the flow, even though it technically may be
wrong.

Secondly, if someone's century or millenium has to be short a year, why
not let it be the one way back then.  I don't hear them complaining. It
seems all corrections and changes made to dates gets assigned to the
past where it makes little difference anyway.  When the calendar hit
1900, they probably had the same same arguements being had now.

I might add, in doing research on legal documents early in American
history, all legal documents stated the date in two ways: one in the
year of our Lord, the other was the number of years since Independence
Day, 1776.

You can't fight the excitement that is generated when all the numbers
turn over, the same as when the odometer hits 100,000 (even though you
didn't actually drive all of them yourself) or even when all the digits
line up in succession.  I always watch for that.

Anyway, happy new year 1999, which is 222 years since the our nation's
independence, at least until July 4.

David Lynes, Woodstock, Georgia
73 Midget
78 MGB