Re: Catalytic converter Z-S to SU conversion

To: ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Catalytic converter Z-S to SU conversion
From: EricSsmc@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 23:50:18 EST
Peter,
I actually did this a few years ago on a 76 B.  I used a Walker catalytic
converter (can't recall the part number).  The  converter inlet and outlet
were the correct size for the B exhaust.  The converter measured a total of 15
inches.  I did just as you said:  cut the pipe just in front of the forward
muffler, slid the converter on and welded the joints up.  The installation
looked just like a factory deal and the inspector didn't know the difference
either visually or technically since the car passed the emissions test.  The
converter cost about $115, but I have seen them for about $70 since then.  I
didn't add any insulation but it did get a little warm(er).  But, what's the
difference between very hot and very, very hot in the summer time?

Good Luck!

Eric