Crankcase Ventilation

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Crankcase Ventilation
From: David Sylvain <niosh@pop.ma.ultranet.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 22:27:44 -0500
Being rather new to the List, I don't know if crankcase ventilation has
been discussed already.  Having said that, I am hoping that someone can
give me some sage advice as to what is needed to keep moisture and goop
from condensing under the oil filler cap (and eventually all over the
rocker arms, & throughout the oil passages) in my 72 B.

I got the B in late November with no emissions controls, except for the
absorption canister:  there's no PCV valve, gulp valve, air pump, etc.  The
engine isn't original -- It's a 1977 18(V) with HS-4s.  The oil separator
tube vents to atmosphere, and a hose connects the valve cover to the
canister.  The engine was reportedly rebuilt, and was said to have had
approximately 300 miles on it when I bought the car.  ( I have since put on
approx 800 miles...)

The car runs really strong, and is a real blast to drive, but, on one of my
first drives, I noticed a faint odor of blow-by.  I opened the oil filler
cap, and sure enough, I could see blow-by swirling around under the valve
cover.  I also found moisture & a little bit of whitish goop inside the
filler cap.

It's not that I don't drive far enough to warm the engine -- the car's too
much fun to go just "around the block."  Nevertheless, I always find the
same worrisome stuff beneath the cap when I get home.  I don't see anything
on the rocker arms (looking in thru the filler opening), but I really need
to pull the valve cover and take a look.  When the engine is running (of
course), a little blow-by can be seen at the end of the oil separator tube,
if you look closely.

The Moss catalog shows several arrangements for ventilating the crankcase.
It seems that one of these might help remove the blow-by gases before they
can condense & contaminate the oil & foul everything up.  I would really
appreciate some advice as to which arrangement (if any) would work with my
totally un-smogged engine.  And this begs the question of whether it is
"normal" to have some blow-by in a "rebuilt" engine.

TIA

Dave Sylvain (a newbie)
72 B (an old B, but a good B)