Re: Crankcase Ventilation

To: niosh@pop.ma.ultranet.com
Subject: Re: Crankcase Ventilation
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 23:48:09 EST
On Tue, 12 Jan 1999 11:52:41 -0500 David Sylvain
<niosh@pop.ma.ultranet.com> writes:
>Lawrie,
>
>I may have overstated my case when I used the word "goop."  What I see
>under the filler cap is mostly moisture (a few drops), and a little
>bit of
>white stuff which seems to be from the combination of moisture and
>oil.
>What I want to do is prevent this stuff from becoming a full-fledged
>goopy
>mess.
>
>I check the coolant level every day I drive the B, and it hasn't
>dropped at
>all.  Also, there's no white stuff on the dipstick, which I would
>expect if
>coolant were getting into the oil.
>
>I am going to retorque the head in any case, just to make sure . . .
>
>Thanks,
>
>Dave
>72 B roadster

Dave,
 You may have the same problem I had a few years back with my 72
 I notices the same gunk on the underside of the filler cap, and could
see a bit on the tops of a couple of rockers. None on the dipstick, nor
in the oil, when changed.
 I finally deduced the basic problem was the engine was never getting
warmed up enough on the drive to and from work. (I only lived about 6-7
miles from the office,and given the hours I was putting in, didn't have
time or inclicnation to go out an enjoy the MG) The water vapor in the
crankcase was not completely getting vaporized and passed out the vents,
thus was re-condensing in the rocker cover, making for a whitish/tan
goop.
 The immediate solution was to drive the car for about 2 hours (and enjoy
myself in the process); Long term solution was to find a longer way to
work to allow the engine to reach normal temperature and clean itself of
the bad stuff.

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget