Re: Adaptor Base/Top load.

To: "Dennis Berman" <dberman@nortelnetworks.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Adaptor Base/Top load.
From: "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 21:06:42 -0500

>   Originality Vs. Functionality
>
>   I drive Tuna every day! So I think its
>   clear what side I'm on. What's your stand?

I'm all for originality when it comes to MG's.  Who knows when yours
will be the last surviving example on the planet?

However, I do like to have the car functional too - I use mine as a
daily driver also.  I look at it like this - I do as much to my car
to make it functional as is necessary to avoid serious maintenance
headaches.  For me, these changes have to be easily reversible too.
My list of changes that fit these criteria are:  A modern radio
using factory speaker holes and radio mounting; an electronic
ignition; a coolant overflow tank; better butterfly plates on my
SU's; A relay on my heater; V8 and polyurethane bushings and pads;
along with obligatory interior trim such as a wood steering wheel,
etc.

I've tried pretty hard to keep the car looking and performing much
like it was when it first rolled off the line almost 25 years ago.
I think my changes keep the maintenance down while optimizing
originality...Other options that I might consider are upgraded
engine parts (while using an original MG 1800 engine), and maybe
even the Colt shock conversion - it can be made original too.

What I'd like to do but won't because of the originality factor
might include an airdam, hi-po weber carbs, engine swaps, etc...

Some would say that my rollbar, luggage rack, Lucas sport coil, and
wire wheels were not on the car when it came from the factory, so
the car isn't original.  I say, BAH - they were "period accesories"
and are OK in my mind.

Of course, when it comes right down to it; it's you're car and
you've got to be happy with what you have.  So do what you like and
enjoy your car...

Michael S. Lishego
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/3706/