Re: empty fuel filter

To: "MGs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: empty fuel filter
From: "Lonn Howard" <hoops@owt.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 07:01:21 -0800
>Paul,
>
>the "air" in the filter is more likely to be petrol (gas) vapour in the
>line. By the time you are out of the car, the area under the bonnet (hood )
>has heated up the filter enough to boil away the fuel. In later B's , where
>the fuel line to the front carb runs to the front float chamber first, the
>filter is usually fit in just before it enters the front float chamber.
It's
>a much cooler spot.
>
>Durinx Willy
>73 BGT "Ruth"

I'm not sure I agree.  If the fuel was vaporizing in the manner suggested
then most of us would have problems with vapor-lock.  I wonder if maybe the
fuel pump is sucking air.  Try blowing your system out, then plug the pipe
at the tank end and pull a vacuum at the outlet of the pump and see if the
system will hold a vacuum.  Just a guess, but I bet not.

Lonn Howard
'70 TR6 -mine
'71 TR6 -in my garage, therefore it's mine (dad might disagree)
'70 MGB GT -mine, mine... all mine
'89 Saab Turbo Convertible -hers

"We are but temporary custodians with an obligation of preservation."