'73 MGB WATER IN THE OIL!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: '73 MGB WATER IN THE OIL!
From: "Michael P. Thelen" <mthelen@jpl.nasa.gov>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 07:30:21 -0800
Hello All!

        I am a brand new MGB enthusiast!  I just got a '73 MGB (my first
project car
ever!) that needs alot of work!  I got it for a really cheap price so I
didn't really
do a checkout of the car before I got it into my garage - I just put it
there, fell in love with
the potential I see in the car, and did the checkout later.  I don't even
think I
know what to be looking for, I am just really pumped about fixing the car up!!

However, when I checked the oil in the car over the weekend, there was
water mixed with it.
Everyone I tell this to seems to cringe in a really bad way.  I dont know
much about cars and
engines yet, but I am eager to learn.  The radiator is holding water to the
full mark
which makes me think that the water isn't coming from the radiator.  The
guy I bought
it from had the hood off and just a tarp over the car.  Could water get in
this way?
What do I look for?  What could be wrong?  What do I do to find out?  Can I
try and
turn the car engine over before fixing the oil problem or will it just make
a potential problem worse?
Are my dreams of this MGB doomed, or should I hang on and put some time and
money into
this problem?  Any information would greatly be appreciated!!

                                        Thanks!,
                                                        - Mike -