Re: Lucas Sport Coil on 1980 MGB

To: "Carl Elliott" <grunt2@adelphia.net>, "teds" <teds@accessone.com>
Subject: Re: Lucas Sport Coil on 1980 MGB
From: "Paul Tegler " <wizardz@amdyne.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 18:18:41 -0500
The difference in ballast and non-ballast resistor systems is the
internal resistance of the coil. Most systems using a ballast resistor
only require 6 volts at the coil to produce proper spark.
When cranking the engine the ballast it bypassed delivering
max power (+12v) to the coil to increase spark power.
On a non-ballast system the coil is designed to run from +12v
Electronic ign. is OK to use on the Gold coil as long as you remove
the ballast wire from your ignition power path, letting the system run
on +12v all the time. The electronic modules are getting there power
from the coil supply lines. If the ballast is left in place the ign. module
will not get the proper power needed (+12v) This is what kills them
so quickly in some installations. The Gold coil has the proper
resistance (3-6 ohms) you don't need the ballast resistor and the
elec. ign. module will handle the power just fine.

Side note:
I've purposely tried to blow up the power switching of a module just
to see what they could handle. (it was an old mount mechanically damaged
unit.) It took loading it up with three coils before it smoked after 3 hours
of sitting there under full load.