Re: Primer

To: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Primer
From: "Robert Allen" <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 08:46:27 -0600
http://hirschauto.com/prod01.htm

If you would like to end up with a really nice looking engine, you might
start with a really good engine enamel. The above link is to Bill Hirsch
products. Call the man, get a quart of "MG Maroon" engine enamel. Use a high
quality china bristle brush. Brush it on. It is that easy. Use a red
iron-oxide primer to prevent rust.

As for the ancillaries, there is a product called "Almu-blast" and
"Cast-Blast" in rattle cans that makes cast aluminum or iron look new. I
don't know of a national distributor.

I've always had good luck with Rustoleum rattle cans for gloss black. And
contrary to urban myths, I have never put so much paint on a radiator that
it caused thermal problems.

Cast exhaust manifolds are not hard to paint -- they're hard to prepare.
They must be sand-blasted if you expect the paint to adhere and then,
surprisingly, most high-temp paints work fine.

Spraying finish parts with a clear coat is cheap insurance (if the parts
don't get very hot).

Most painting mistakes are preparation mistakes.

YMMV--
Bob Allen, Kansas City
"A fox knows many tricks; a skunk need only know one."