Re: '73 MBG SIEZED ENGINE!!!

To: "Michael P. Thelen" <mthelen@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject: Re: '73 MBG SIEZED ENGINE!!!
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 01:11:35 -0400
Isn't this terrific advice!

Don't feel bad.  I had the same problem (head gasket/seized rings) when I
first got
my 78 B.  But the engine is strong, and I am glad I had the chance to work
on it,
and get it the way I wanted. Its a good learning experience, especially if
you have
little experience. Get a Haynes or Bentley manual, and have some fun.  If
you have
to pay someone to do it, it will definitely cost you some bucks. But you
pulled the
head, the carb, intake and exhaust manifolds, you are half way there. Go
for it. You
can get parts easily, and the expertise is on the list for the cost of your
internet
subscription.

We are all in the same boat.  There has been a lot of talk here about
putting so
much money into the cars, and we all know we may barely cover the cost of
the parts,
never the labor if we sold these things. But there is more than economics
at play
here. Stick around, you will know what I mean.  These little cars have
personality
and a kind of spirit of their own. And it pays you back in many other ways
besides
resale value.

Good Luck, and keep us posted

David Lynes, Woodstock, Georgia

Michael P. Thelen wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> I am the one who had water in the oil a couple of days ago in my '73 MGB...
.....<snip>.....
> Im bummed!  This is my first project car.  I see potential, but I am not
> sure if I will end up putting more money into it than I will get out of
> it....  Any inputs would be greatly
> appreciated!
>                                         Frustrated but Hopeful,
>
>                                                                         -
>Mike -

Geeze, gang, help me! I feel this irresistible urge to pontificate.  Here
it comes...HELP...

Now imagine... WHO ever puts more money in a car than they'll ever get out
of it?  The answer is
<<nearly everybody>>.  New car buyers these days lose more money in the
first drive around the block than most of us<<pay>> for our MGBs.  On the
other hand, my '73B represents a total investment of about $4500.  Hey it's
not pristine but it usually places 2nd or 3rd in regional shows.  One day
we pulled up in front of a restaurant between a brand new Infinity and a
late model Mercedes.  Guess which car got all the attention?

' Bought our '76 daily driver for $750 back 8 years ago - engine was out
and in pieces.   But it looked like it had a rust-free body, wire wheels
(asset or liability?), AND overdrive.  I built the new engine then put in a
new interior and gave it a new top.  Over the years until Fall '98 I also
rebuilt front suspension, swapped out the rear end, bought a new set of
Dayton wires, and a bunch of lesser stuff.  The "rust-free" body did need
new floors. I roughly estimate my total expenditure (including the original
$750) at somewhere around $4000 up through the first 42,000 miles - until
last fall.  Last summer I ran it about 2000 miles in three trips over about
two weeks.  It ran so well that on my return from Kentucky I totally forgot
about all the things that might go wrong with an MG - and just enjoyed.
But then the rear quarters were bubbling around the wheel arches and not
wishing to interrupt the snail's pace of my '65 restoration, I sent it out
for new rear quarters, inner wing repair and respray.  It's still just a
driver (but a very pretty one!) and my "investment" is up to more like
$6500 - but so what?  I'm not selling it - I'm driving it.  Suppose I drive
it for two more years and sell it for $4000.  I will have gotten 10 years
of pure driving pleasure for about $2500 depreciation (and that includes
all my repairs!).

Resolve today to simply do whatever your MGB needs. And resolve to learn as
much as you can about it. It will give you many years and thousands of
miles of great service.   Trouble-free?  Probably not (what car is?).  But
if you take personal responsibility for the condition of your car,  you'll
avoid getting stranded - and on that rare occasion when something does go
wrong on the road, you'll be ready, you'll have the necessary part in the
trunk, you'll be back on the road in no more than a few hours, and you'll
be forever grateful that you were driving a car you understand instead of
one of these modern computerized techno-gizmos. And if all else fails,
you'll have your NAMGBR membership directory in the glovebox - help is just
around the corner.  How can you beat that!

Beyond siezed engines, poor Joe Lucas has probably taken the worst
undeserved bad rap in the history of western culture. Don't get me going on
that...  I just wish my Nissan pickup was half as reliable.  And geeze, if
Florrie's Cherokee breaks down all I can do is call AAA on the cell phone.

My gawd... I'm an incurable enthusiast.

Age 59 and holding...

Allen

Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<