Rear axle help, please

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear axle help, please
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 21:17:14 -0800
Help, please?

     I'm hoping to transfer the backing plates from my original axle to the
donor axle.  Bad enough to discover that 1 5/16 in sockets are only available in
3/4 in. drive, which means big bucks.  Oh well.  The problem is that I was able
to remove the hub on the right side using a gear puller.  It took a lot of
effort, but eventually it popped loose.  But, the left side will not come off.
The axle shaft collar, a split collet, refuses to give.  I've even tried my
wheel puller whose shaft can be turned by pounding on it with a BFH, and I did,
but it didn't.  There's a degree of rust in the area and the collar on the right
side showed evidence of being partially rusted in.  I gave the area a good dose
of PBBlaster and left the wheel puller in place, under a good bit of stress.
Maybe by tomorrow night the good fairies will have shown up and freed it.

Seriously, any suggestions for undoing one of these things.  Slide hammer?  Cut
it to pieces with a Dremel tool without nicking the axle?  Help!  Thanks.

Bud Krueger
52TD (wants its garage back)
77MGB (wants a good rear end)