Re: Questions about 70 BGT

To: hoops@owt.com
Subject: Re: Questions about 70 BGT
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 09:31:28 EST
On Fri, 5 Feb 1999 18:05:35 -0800 "Lonn Howard" <hoops@owt.com> writes:
>I'm an MG newbie and don't have much literature on them besides Haynes
>and Bentleys.  The "big three" catalogs are great for discerning the
>differences between model years, but I still have a few questions.
>Any help is appreciated.

For this type of "study" you really need a copy of "original MGB" by
Anders Ditlev Clausager - its readily available in any good bookstore or
from the parts houses, Amazon etc.

>My car has a GF series engine and everything attached to the engine is
>correct for a GF series engine.  The car was built 12/69.  Is it
>possible that this engine is original?

As we discussed before - thats a "definite maybe".....hehe

>The bonnet is steel.  Shouldn't it be aluminum for a BGT of this
>vintage?

Another "definite maybe" - the exact point at which Abingdon switched
from Aluminium to steel is not documented except that it was sometime in
autumn 1969 and  then its thought that there would have been a period of
time where stocks of both were used - my GT is built 12/69 and the bonnet
is steel

>Did the 70 BGT have evaporative emission control crud in the American
>market?  I've spotted some poly tubing near the fuel pump but haven't
>chased it down yet.  No sign of a carbon canister in the engine
>compartment.

It depends a bit on what market it was going to originally  - the
California cars had more stuff than the rest f the US in late 69/70 but
as far as i can see neither had the canister which came along in 71

>Is there a way to tell what the original car color code was.  Triumph
>coded that info into a body number.  Did MG?

I dont think so - Clausager would know! (though i cant put my finger on
it..)- but there were not too many choices in 70
black(special order) Antelope beige, bermuda blue, blue royale, dark BRG,
flame red, bronze yellow, pale primrose yellow and glacier white
Antelope beige and bermuda blue were for GTs only and bronze yellow is a
misnoma - its orange!- what do you think fits?

mikr robson
69 roadster (built oct 68 originally BRG, now black)
70 BGT (built 12/69 Flame red, now and forever)
53 Riley (built circa feb/mar 53 black with silver sides)